Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Beautiful Disaster - Jamie McGuire


“To douchebags!" he said, gesturing to Brad. "And to girls that break your heart," he bowed his head to me. His eyes lost focus. "And to the absolute fucking horror of losing your best friend because you were stupid enough to fall in love with her.” I am seriously seriously in love with this line.
 Synopsis: From Goodreads
The new Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate percentage of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance between her and the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University's Walking One-Night Stand. 
Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby needs—and wants—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match.

Review:
When you first pick up this book you don’t realise how fitting it really it. This book is a beautiful disaster and that is the best way I can sum it up. There were moment I felt like laughing and there were moments I was so angry I threw the book half way across my room, thank god it was book and not my iPod or goodbye money. But damn is this book insane. On second thought this book is less beautiful and more disaster.

When I first saw it I was intrigued enough by the cover to read the blub which made my eyes role and put it down straight away.  I do love a good girl meets a bad boy story but damn it to hell have I read enough already but every damned day I entered the shop it called to me like nothing I have ever seen before, it begged me to take it and take it I did. I am not sure what I really think about it, the fact that I read it in half a day with barely one bathroom break in between sure indicates that I liked it or at least if fascinated me so I could not put it down. This book has my emotions in such turmoil if I had a weak heart I would be dead by now.

One thing I hate is that it’s been related to the Fifty Shades of Grey series and I will say FUCK NO indignantly may I point out. For one the protagonist is not a spineless idiot who lets a man control her. I actually admire Abby in a way she tried to control her life when it starts to spiral out of control and that is all I am saying because this book is well worth the reading especially since it’s on offer in most shops. Saying that though there are moments where I really wanted to slap Abby almost as much as I wanted to slap Anastasia although for quite a different reason.

They just keep going back don’t they.

Perhaps I am just a harsh bitch but when a guy fucks up that many times you say good bye and bare the heart break instead of going back and having it broken over and over again. For fuck sake sister grow some balls before something happens that will leave you with even more emotional scars than you have already or even worse you have physicals scars.
I can’t actually believe I have not heard of it before, granted it’s not my kind of book since I usually avoid story lines where nothing other than the romance between two people happens but damn is this book good that way.

The weirdest thing about this book was that it’s so hard to realise that the characters are like 19 and 20 something. As a fellow nineteen year old who also attempted the nineteen shots rule [failing hopelessly] I just can’t grasp the amount of drama in their lives. I mean seriously if only my life had half of that drama I am sure I would have been hospitalised already.

To be honest there are many bad things I can sit and pick at but this book is not about perfect characters in fact the characters are so flawed they become very very real. While you might not agree with their decisions you care as if they are real. In the end the book is about ‘love concurs all’ and the romantic girl in me just about melts every time that point is proven

The verdict

I actually really liked this book; in fact I might go as far as saying I loved the book. I somehow felt really bad for liking it because holly shit there are many things that happen that are NOT normal but thanks to Jude Henderson from In Between blog I have the perfect word for it and it is CRACK. You know its bad for you and you look like a total shit reading it but it feels so damned good you don't care.

Overall

I give this book an overall of 4.5 starts out of 5 for creating a heart pounding storyline with believable characters.









Product details
Paperback: 432 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK (14 Aug 2012)
Language: English
Author's Website: http://jamiemcguire.com/
ISBN-10: 1471115038
ISBN-13: 978-1471115035
Purchase: Amazon US/ Amazon UK


2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Review! and lol, Fifty Shades has a way of getting into every review :P You should try the second one. The first one really sucked - addictive, but still pretty lame. Eventually the series won me over ^^

    Thanks for the mention. And well said: CRACK. It's simply that good :3

    ReplyDelete
  2. < Jude Henderson> You are right about crack apparently a book from Treveor point of view is coming out next year but since you have loads of followers try and get the Simon&Schuster review list and get an early review copy am sure it will be as addictive as this one and as for FSG i didn't even mean to read or review if but the constant bickering on facebook had me so curious i had to read it

    Oh and thanks for the follow

    ReplyDelete