Tuesday, 28 August 2012

Dearly, Beloved [Gone With the Respiration #2] - Lia Habel

Please don’t be an idiot like me read Dearly, Departed first! Review copy provided by publisher via NetGalley


Synopsis: From Goodreads
Can the living coexist with the living dead? 
That’s the question that has New Victorian society fiercely divided ever since the mysterious plague known as “The Laz” hit the city of New London and turned thousands into walking corpses. But while some of these zombies are mindless monsters, hungry for human flesh, others can still think, speak, reason, and control their ravenous new appetites.  Just ask Nora Dearly, the young lady of means who was nearly kidnapped by a band of sinister zombies but valiantly rescued by a dashing young man . . . of the dead variety.
Review:
It’s a sad sad day when all I can think to say about a book is ‘It’s alright’ but unfortunately that is all I can say about Dearly, Beloved. Granted it was my fault that I didn’t check it was the second book but when I saw it on NetGalley it seemed like a standalone book or at least the first in a series.

This book started out slow had a few slightly fast moments but in the end I was reading the same damn paragraph for the longest time possible and it had so many damned point of views I felt like I was a beach ball being back and forth between six people. Not a very smooth experience is it, it gave the story a very choppy feeling.

Dearly, Beloved is a zombie-dystopian-horror-comedy-romance book none of which it did particularly well, least of which the romance. This is not the author’s fault; years of watching Resident evil has me terrified of Zombies. Yes even more than vampires, ghosts or werewolves. I just could not picture me snogging this. 

It does not matter how much you clean this ugly mofo because in my head he will always look like this and there is no way my lips are going anywhere near him


I had a very hard time with the whole concept of the book, the idea of a society that goes back to Victorian values while keeping technological advancements just seems improbable but then again this is a book that gives you tofu eating zombies which in it's essense is too Twilight for me anyway.

So that is it, all my opinions about this book. Not a lot but rather mundane and uninterested. I simply did not care what happened but watched with vague interest. At least I finally figured out what it feels like being a greek god watching over the mundane lives of humans you just don’t care about for that thanks Ms. Habel

Overall: I give this book 2.5 starts our of 5 for a light hearted read that does not make your heart jump or pretty much any of your body parts. Just try not to dwell on the fact that a 16 year old and rotting corpse are making out.



Product details
Paperback: 480 pages
Publisher: Doubleday Childrens (3 Jan 2013)
Language: English
Author's Website: http://liahabel.com/
ISBN-10: 0857530011
ISBN-13: 978-0857530011
Purchase: Amazon US / Amazon UK

No comments:

Post a Comment