Sunday, 12 August 2012

Of Light and Darkness: The Vampire's Daughter - Shayne Leighton



"It was as though I was watching a play, as if I were the reality looking in on the make-believe. The exact same way they would feel if they ever happened to look in on me"


Synopsis:  
Valke, one of the last vampires in the world find an abandoned human child and instead of snacking on her like his instinct demands him to he raises the child into the beautiful and intelligent soon to be a woman Charlotte Ruzikova. Bound by loyalty and the love for each other they stand together against the oppressive nature of the hidden city. With impending war looming ahead can one human stand against supernatural creatures so much bigger and stronger than herself.



Review: When I was asked to review this book I was ecstatic, this was the first time I was asked and I was determined to review it that same night, unfortunately for me I was too tier to read anything more than the prologue and what a prologue it is too. It was not only intriguing but was written beautifully.  It was written much like Shatter Me with beautiful poetic moments but without the thousand excessive metaphors.
So the next morning I woke up with the prologue still playing in my mind but feeling a bit apprehensive since I now had high expectations and did not want to get disappointed especially if the book was only filled with stereotypically sparkling vampires but happy to say I was pleasantly surprised. 

I loved the setting of this book, the idea of a supernatural city hidden at edge of human civilisation was amazing and I loved the fact all the supernatural creatures played as much part as the acclaimed vampires and werewolves. As for Charlotte, well she is my kind of character. Loyal, strong and damn smart to boot. She is a very refreshing changed from the whiny and incompetent heroines I have been encountering. As for Valke, OHHHHHLAAALAA….he is the typical seriously hot vampire with enough secrets to burry a whole country. 

One thing that confused me was the dynamic of their relationship. At first their relationship seemed clear cut at least on Valke’s part, Charlotte is a ward he has chosen to take care of but after a while that boundary seemed to blur and Valke starts to see Charlotte as more that a child. I must give Leighton real credit in writing this part very well because this could have gone very bad instead Leighton expertly weaved the story so that the romance was subtle and intricate instead of the lustful and unconvincing relationships which are often portrayed as love in many of the YA books I have read in the past. This book has tangible characters with their relationship being a large part of the book but that doesn’t take away from the plotline rather creates a three dimensional characters.

I always find it hard to write a review for books I absolutely adore and this is no different. It has an original plot line which was simply amazing and I can truly say I can’t wait for the next book, in fact I will do doubt re-read this books several times. 
Overall I give this book a whopping 4.5 stars because it was a generally amazing read that should be in the bookshelves of every fantasy book lover.







Product details
Format: Kindle Edition
Print Length: 294 pages
Publisher: Decadent Publishing Company (26 Jun 2011)
File Size: 484 KB
Language: English
Author's Website: http://oflightanddarkness.wix.com/shayneleighton
Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1613330316

No comments:

Post a Comment