Saturday, 18 August 2012

Where Demons Fear to Tread [The Company of Angels #1] - Stephanie Chong

THIS BOOK CONTAINS ADULT CONTENTS


"If fools rush in where angels fear to tread, where do demons fear to tread? she wondered. Then it hit her."


Synopsis:
Serena is a Guardian, a year into her angel duties she runs across the most powerful Archdemon in L.A, Julian. Being an Archdemon, Julian has had his fair share of women but after seeing the innocent and alluring angel in his club he wants her more than he has ever wanted anything and he is determined to get her by all means necessary. Will Serena fall or will Julian learn the unimaginable feat and fall in love.

Review: 

When I picked this up I had no desire to review it, it was just a book I picked up because I was inexplicably drawn towards its beautiful cover but after reading the first 100 pages without realising that I was reading it, I decided to review it and even considered giving it 5 stars at one point.

This book I beautifully written, it’s fluent and flows with no awkward silences in between. I loved the pace of the book at the bigninning but it’s a gets a bit rushed towards the end leaving you wondering what the heck just happened.

As protagonists go Serena is a very good one, strong, independent and impossible to relate to. Come one how can a person like me relate to an all perfect angel with seeming no vice what so ever. Chong did a very good job of portraying her leading roles. Serena is amazingly na├»ve just like an angel should be – although when I found out that she has lived on earth for twenty three years before she became an angel, the naivety was put into question. How can one live on earth for more than two decades and not get exposed to life on earth. She is also amazingly self-sacrificing which got on my nerves a little bit because all Julian has to do is invite someone she knows for dinner and she comes running towards him.. ERRRRRR.

As for Julian and the rest of the demons, they are seriously evil, which goes without saying I supposed but these demons were the most realistic interpretation of what I would expect a demon to act like. Seriously, even Julian who we are supposed to be fond of has no redeeming quality. He destroyed hundreds and thousands of lives and is so damned arrogant that you forget you were supposed to like him at all. 

So here comes the verdict

I enjoyed this book, it was fast paced and has enough mommentom that you are guaranteed not to fall asleep but there are moments which feel jerky and abrupt like you just missed a chapter you didn’t know there was. Both Characters presented their repspective races very well but from a human point of view neither were relatable.

Overall

I give this book an overall score of 3.5 stars as it was an action packed and totally hot love [lust!] story between an angel and a demon, talk about one hell of a vice.



Product details
Paperback: 368 pages
Publisher: Mira (16 Sep 2011)
Language: English
Author's Website: http://stephaniechong.com/
ISBN-10: 1848450494
ISBN-13: 978-1848450493
Purchase: Amazon US / Amazon UK

6 comments:

  1. GReat review! And i agree i would have picked up this book for the cover alone as wel. it's gorgeous! Cool blog!

    http://thecrossbreeds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. First thanks am new to reviewing so am still perfecting my style and yes the cover is beautiful. The next book is equally beautiful, i've requested for an ARC hopefully i will get one [excited >_<

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Beth! thanks for stopping by. Your blog is very pretty. I'm following you now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the follow :)You have some great series listed. Some of my favorites are there and some to be check out. I'm eager to read your review on Forbidden (it looks good).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I am a new follower from GoodReads. I would LOVE a follow back! My blog is http://endlessdaysofbooks.blogspot.com/

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the follow! I'm already following under the name Jenny Reyes :) and great review!

    - Bookwormmia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete