Friday, 21 September 2012

Cinder [Lunar Chronicles #1] - Marissa Meyer


Title: Cinder 
Author: Marissa Meyer
Rating: 4 out 5  Stars
Paperback: 387 pages
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends [January 3rd 2012]
Language: English
ISBN 0312641893 
ISBN13: 9780312641894 
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .  
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future


Since I have been accused of being a Hipster I fully expected to hate this book but was surprisingly enjoyable. I really enjoyed Meyer's reinterpretation. Not only did she recreate Cinderella, but she improved her and made her one kick ass cyborg instead of the poor little girl who sang to the birds about dreams.

Unsurprisingly this book had more teen angst than cyborg action which really didn't disappoint me too much since I quite enjoyed the fact that Cinder did not throw herself on Kai but held back and kicked ass before she sealed the deal.

One thing that didn't work for me about this book was the mystery element, seriously I had the entire story figured out 2 seconds after the Lunars were introduced. Seriously it's obvious that Cinder is BEEP and BEEP. Since I deem this book worth reading I will not spoil the mystery but be warned to expect the obvious since there is absolutely no subtext to this book what so ever.

The other thing I really admired about this book was the portrayal of the stepmother, instead of the cold hearted B she is seen as in the original Cinderella, Meyer actually added depth to Ari. She was not just cruel woman but a whole rounded person, sure she is still kind of evil but there are moments in the book where you actually feel sorry for her and I really like that.

The verdict

This book surprised me and was better than I would have assumed since most proclaimed YA books have not been my cup of tea.

Overall

I give this book 4 out of 5 and an impatient glance at the count down clock for Scarlet.  

5 comments:

  1. I comment whenever I appreciate a post on a blog or I have something to contribute to the discussion.
    It is triggered by the fire communicated in the post I read.

    And on this article "Cinder [Lunar Chronicles #1] - Marissa Meyer".
    I was actually moved enough to leave a thought ;-) I actually do have a couple of questions for you if
    you usually do not mind. Could it be just me or does it look like a few of the
    responses look like they are coming from brain dead people?
    :-P And, if you are posting at additional sites, I'd like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Could you make a list every one of your social pages like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?
    Feel free to visit my website :: to make money online

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good day! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new
    project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on.

    You have done a outstanding job!
    Here is my blog post tattoo laser removal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good blog post. I definitely appreciate this site.
    Keep it up!
    Feel free to visit my site - bikersltd.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This
    article posted at this web site is genuinely nice.
    my site - get rid pimples naturally

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your
    blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!
    My website :: remove acne

    ReplyDelete