Saturday, 15 September 2012

Glitch [Glitch Trilogy #1] - Heather Anatasiu


Review copy supplied by McMillan


Title; Glitch
Author: Heather Anastasiu
Rating; 1.5 Starts
Synopsis:
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.
When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers. 
As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.
Review:


As last week's cover crush, I had high hopes for glitch and considering the amount of time I waited to get my hands on it, I was sorely disappointed. The general idea of the book seemed intriguing enough but about page 15 I realised that this book was not what I expected.

For one the protagonist Zoel is perhaps  the whiniest, most annoying characters that I have ever read about. All she does is complain - complain about glitching, complain about not glitching, complain about 'The Community' for not letting her snog her lovers - yes she has two - all over the place.

I mean seriously it's not even a decent dystopian novel but to make matters worse it has a love triangle, someone please save me from reading yet another book with a love triangle. The only thing i remotely liked about this book apart from the undeserved book cover is the little twist in the middle, can't tell you what it is because then it will destroy the only good thing in this book.

To be honest am not sure I should even be reviewing this book since I fail to find more than a spec of goodness in it. Zoel is irrational going from glitching i page 1 to falling in love in less than 50 pages even though she had no idea what that meant before hand. The whole book was entirely juvenile and that coming from me is rather disappointing.

Perhaps the worst thing about this book  - and it drove  me crazy every single time - is the expressions. Trust me read about 50 pages and you will understand what I mean. For your benefit let me list the two I hate the most.

1. Crackin' 
2. shuntin' 

Used in sentence  - 'No shuntin' way' and 'Crackin' hell'.

My response - NO.

 As a  Londoner, heck as a British person we always manage to say bloody hell or something equally pointless to add to our sentence but i'll be damned if that extends to the above two. I hated them from the moment they were said until they stopped. Heck I wanted the person who kept saying them to drown in a tunnel filled with water but unfortunately that did not happen.

The verdict

Honestly, their is no question about my response to this book - it was written for 13 year old who care nothing about the depth of the story and only want some make out sessions and love triangles.

Overall

This book was not my thing, and honestly I rather not look upon its deceptively pretty cover ever again. I give this book an over all of 1.5 starts, as always the .5 is for the hooking cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment