Wednesday, 19 September 2012

Hush, Hush [Hush, Hush Saga #1] - Becca Fitzpatrick



Title: Hush, Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpartick
Rating: 3.5 out of 5 
Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Childrens Books (27 May 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1847386962 | ISBN-13: 978-1847386960
A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE 
Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment. 
But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. 
For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life


All my life I have been proud of the fact that I was not the kind of girl who fell for bad boys but then I realised to my shame that I had been channeling that girl quirk through my books. Hush, Hush is yet another book in a string of YA novels with bad boy v good girl which I can't help but be attracted too. Hush, hush is a strange book, it has good points and bad points with equal measure. 

First lets talk about Nora, she is one whiny assed little girl who calls the police five times a week and can't seem to decide whether she wants to like Patch or be terrified of him. She is suppose to be smart but manages to get caught cornered and helpless so many times it got annoying. Heck there is only one moment in the entire book that she acted like she had a spine. 

In YA novels there is a theme that is surprisingly common and that is 'Stalking is Hot'. I don't know if it existed before Twilight but since I have found it in surprisingly numerous books with stalker boy friends which are considered hot. Come on Patch, you make my heart do the funny dance but for the love of God stalking is NOT hot and so I feel that I should recycle this meme since it\s very appropriate.





I actually really like the general plot of the book, it was well written and kept me gripped for two hours. I really like the reform of the whole fallen angel concept especially the Nephilims which must be my favourite hybrids ever.

something that mystifies me not just about this book but most other YA books is where the hell are there parents? Granted I was one of those nerds who didn't travel outside the comfort of my bed and a good book but how the hell do this kids travel to other cities and fight the forces of darkness without mummy dearest knowing about it especially since mums have eyes in the back of their heads.

The verdict

Despite the obvious flaws in this book I really enjoyed it. It was actually a fun filled ride into the world of teenage angst and fallen angels – not a ride I expected to enjoy.

Overall

I give Hush, Hush 3.5 out 5 and a mental not to read Crescendo as soon as possible before it flies out of my brain.


3 comments:

  1. wicked awesome! Thanks for the review...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked Hush, Hush; I personally didn't care for it much. Like you said the storyline was good, but I hated the "stalking is hot" theme too, lol, it drove me crazy.

    Anyway, I like the points you brought up. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, the dangerous, stalkerish, harrassing aspects of Patch were just too much to get around. It's like Fitzpatrick wanted to write a sexy, dangerous, bad-boy good guy, but she seems to have forgotten the good guy part of that. I will admit that the writing was good, though, and I know a lot of people who loved Hush, Hush.

    Your review was great, very detailed. And your blog is amazing.

    I'm a new follower, found you on goodreads. I'd love it if you'd check my blog out at http://www.paper-fantasies.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete