Sunday, 16 September 2012

Mana - Asher Tensei


Review copy provided - Part of Enchanted book tour 

Title: Mana
Author: Asher Tensei
Rating: 3.5 out 5

Synopsis:
Eurich is thrown into a seemingly ill-fated destiny. After learning of his legendary magic, he is convinced that he alone must stop an impending doom, but nothing is ever as it seems. His best friends Jason and Raine try their best to help him save the world, but help isn’t what he needs —he needs a way across the barrier.
Despite this fate thrust upon him, Eurich knows what is coming. The world is headed toward Chaos due to a weakening barrier between Earth and a world that has been hidden for millennia. 
Our world is about to take a sharp turn for the worse. Extra moons are rising in the sky, and panic is at an all-time high. Worst of all, there are no explanations.
Saving the world begins with a choice —but is humanity worth him risking his own life?

Review: 

My friend once told me that he could never write a book because no matter how well he described it no one will ever see the things he saw when he wrote it and with some author’s I agree that’s the case. The story will be just a dialogue with no spatial awareness what so ever but with Mana I would have to disagree. This book is written beautiful with vivid description that paints not just locations but amazing characters.

I find in most fantasy because the magic or whatever power might be present tends to dominate over everything including human characters and emotions, this book doesn’t.  Tensei creates very realistic characters that you want to care about rather than whiny little girls with boy problems. 

I absolutely enjoyed this book and I would recommend to any fantasy lover to go and buy this book.

Overall

I give this book 3.5 out of 5 for a fantastic journey into a fantasy filled world.

Purchase:  Amazon | Barns & Noble
Author's Website: http://ashertensei.com/

Thanks to Enchanted book tours I have interviewed the man behind the book.  Ladies and gentlemen I would like to welcome Asher Tensei, the man behind the book.


Interview


Have you always wanted to be a writer or is that more of a late development?

I’d have to say that this was more of a late development. It didn’t hit me that I wanted to write until I got older and saw it as possible income. The creativity has always been there… guess I just needed a little push.

How long does it take you to write a book?

My first draft of Mana took me a month to write, but a book is never truly done until it’s rewritten like five times. But all in all, from start to complete finish, Mana took two years to complete.

Writing a book is undoubtedly a very long process, how do you keep yourself motivated to keep writing?

Give yourself a deadline! It works for me. What also works for me is I never plan a chapter ahead, so I’m always surprised by what I come up with. Sure I have the way the story will end, but everything in between and betwixt is completely up to Raine, Eurich, and Jason.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I let the writing flow. Sometimes I can get about two chapters done in a day and some days where I can only write like 3 or 400 words. I do like to plan writing days, but that rarely ever happens because of my schedule :/. However,I do plan on getting a lot of time back soon so I can work on book two full-time!

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Everything! When I’m not writing I’m doing martial arts, taking acting classes, playing a game, or rapping. I pretty much do anything that requires artistic expression.

What does your family think of your writing?

My family is brutally honest, so if I sucked, I’m sure they would have told me. They tell me how good it is all the time. They keep my hopes up by telling me the talent I have and by giving unconditional support. They have big hopes for my book, so it’s really exciting that they share my vision, too!

As a male author, how does it feel to enter the Young Adult market which we all know is pretty much dominated by female authors?

It feels great because I know my story is just as good, if not better than some of the really popular YA novels. Being a male in this market simply means I’ll have to try a bit harder, and I’m okay with that. Maybe if I’m lucky, I’ll start a wave of new male YA authors

What are your current projects?

I’m currently working on Golden Darkness, the sequel to Mana, and it is so awesome!! The story really took a new direction. I uncovered some major back story and I introduced some new things that add so much more magic to the story. Plus, it has a really unexpected twist. So hopefully I’ll finish it soon!


About the Author


Hi, I’m Ash, but you can all call me Tensei! (Ten-say) I’m responsible for writing the upcoming novel, Mana, which is set to be published by Malachite Quills on September 7, 2012! When I’m not writing, I’m trying to educate others about how important writing and self-esteem are.
And…
When I’m not doing any of that (I’m almost always doing those) I try to stay active on Twitter and my blog on this site. If any of my sentences can motivate even one person, then my job is done!
 I’ve always been good at doing at least one thing in my life, getting people to break the mold. I sat in the darkness of literature too long, watching as the same concepts were published over and over. I’m very passionate about the fantasy genre and I like where it is headed, but sometimes, I can’t help but feel we’re all really buying the same stories just told from a different POV.

I made it my duty to generate something in people who already exists in low amounts, uniqueness. I chose to write Mana because it does exactly what we all expect it to. Those who have read it have thought differently about what it means to feel like to be  ”one in a million.” It was very important that I convey that message in the book because, every day, more people are doubting themselves and not realizing that only they are capable of being themselves.

Nobody else in the world can write my book. No one else in the world can tell me how to make my craft better (though I gladly accept criticism  ). Lastly, no one can diminish me or my works.
 Simply because I refuse to be changed. I like being one in a million, and so should you!

1 comment:

  1. I'd have to say, I have read Mana and it is one of my favorite books. I'd personally say it's 5 out of 5, must read for all. I love Ashers characters and the amazing journey he takes you on in Mana.

    ReplyDelete