Saturday, 22 September 2012

Never After [The Ever After Chronicles #1] - Jason Robert Macumber

Title: Never After
Author: Jason Robert Macumber
Rating: 4 out 5 stars

The world of fairy tales is twisted and corrupted. Two years after her entrapment and torture at the hands of the Seven Deadly Trolls, Snow White now works as an assassin for hire. Rude, crude and with her princess status long revoked, she has become a dark angel for the Ever After's damsels-in-distress. A game of cat and mouse soon begins when two of the Deadlies, Pride and Wrath, return to exact revenge on the fallen princess for the murder of their brothers. Armed with her trusty dagger carved from the magic mirror, Snow finds herself drawn into a conspiracy that involves an ancient relic from beyond her world's borders and the destruction of her world. Taking perversion to a whole new level, NEVER AFTER is an estrogen-filled romp to save the Ever After as Snow slices and dices her way through beloved characters leaving no talking animal safe
Review:
Continuing my fairy tale fortnight is Jason Robert Macumber's Never After although I hesitate to call it a fairy tale since it is dark and gritty with no happily ever after. Seriously guys I mean it this story is crude and if you expect sweet Snow White you will be disappointed. On the other hand if you are like me and love the darker humor this book is for you.

In a way I suppose it is very much like the original tale. Snow White is held hostage by the seven trolls and tortured. After she escapes she becomes an assassin. Trust me this story is not for kids, Snow white becomes one kick ass heroin although she is not much of a hero. She becomes obsessed with revenge and kills a lot which is a surprising but welcome difference from the whiny little girl in the Disney cartoons.


The verdict

Despite the crude nature of the book I really enjoyed it.

Overall

I give this book 4 out 5 starts. 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting Jason and wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha I really enjoy your book reviews. I'm thinkin I'm going to have to read this one.. keep up the "crazy" reviews! ;-)

    ReplyDelete