Tuesday, 18 September 2012

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer [ Mara Dyer Trilogy #1] - Michelle Hodrin


Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodrin
Rating: 4 out 5
ISBN: 1442421762 
ISBN13: 9781442421769
Hardcover, 452 pages

Synopsis

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.  It can.    
She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.   There is.   
She doesn't believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.  She’s wrong.


Review

This book was a bit strange for me, I could not decide if I loved it or if I hated it. There was so many clichéd and stereotypical moments that you could say this book was a compilation of books that have been written before but I could not bring myself to hate it. There was some sort of charm to the book; I loved the mystery in the book even if the powers weren’t exactly refreshingly new.

Generally I liked Mara but there were moments I wanted to slap her back to reality, the whole paralysed with fear every time they appear get old real fast. Come one Mara grow a backbone kick ass once in a while. As for Noah, damn he is one seriously hot guy but yet again not very original, what don’t tell me you have never seen the new good girl with a secret and the bad boy shack up.

The one thing I loved the most about this book is Jamie. I swear if that boy was real he would so be my soul mate.  Heck I even laughed my ass of at the whole Ebola joke, yes nerd humour is awesome.

The best thing about this book is the mystery, it is amazing. Nothing is really given away but you are drip fed information but each page you flip over and there is yet another drop, meanwhile you want the whole picture so you keep reading because well heck you are enjoying yourself. In a way it’s kind of like Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire, even when you know it’s not exactly the most original or rational story you still can’t help but like it anyway.

The verdict

I am much divided with this story, am not sure if I should like it but I do anyway.

Overall

After much consideration I am going to give this book 4 out of 5 because despite knowing its flaws I still gobbled the whole thing in one night.

No comments:

Post a Comment