Thursday, 11 October 2012

Incarnate [Incarnate #1] – Jodi Meadows



"There was no telling if I’d be reborn when I died, but the waltz began and ended with my four notes. He’d built the music around things that reminded him of me. And now this name. My name. "

Synopsis:

Ana is a new soul. In a world where every soul has been reincarnated for five thousand years she is something new, unwanted, a nosoul. Rejected by her mother for replacing  an old soul she is forced to leave home at 18 to find the reason why she had never lived before.

Review:

I actually read this book in a day but only because I actually did nothing else today. This book made me feel confused, annoyed, scared, out of control, in love and every other emotion my teenage hormones could provide. I spent hours reading this book only letting it go to answer the call of nature and I must say it was the best 5 plus hours I had spent in a long long time.

Ana is a lovely voice to listen to, she had the rebellious spirit of a teen and the innocence of a child that made me love her instantly. At times her helplessness frustrated the hell out of me but that added to how much I related to her. Half the time I got the urge to reach into the book and hit her mother for treating her like crap and as for her relationship with Sam.. Sigh… it had my heart beating, my palms sweating and wanting to be Ana.

So let me explain, Ana is a new soul but upon her birth she replaces an older soul ‘Ciana’ for that her father runs away when she is born and her mother acts the part of the wicked stepmother. In the world where everyone has lived five thousand years being a new soul is awkward, she has to learn to talk, read and everything else which people have been learning for thousands of years. You see in Meadows’ world people remember their past lives, jobs, even the way they died so when they are about thirteen they leave home and take place in the Heart  [the city where they live]. So there are loads of creepy  teens talking with the voice of  a five thousand year old person.

I guess that is the one thing I had a problem with the book and I realise it is probably intentional after all Sam is thousands of years old while Ana is only 18 but it felt like some of their interactions were between a father and his extremely naive daughter. Meadows deserves a massive congratulations for creating a world that was not only technologically typical of a dystopian world but enough myth and medieval background to make it rich in culture.

The very concept of this book is to die for, well to be incarnated for in this case. When I picked this book up I was so drawn into the cover, I did not even bother to read the synopsis but I am so glad I picked it up.

It's simply beautiful.

So here comes the verdict

Now that I have rambled on about how much I love this book, let's get to the nitty gritty. There is no question how much I loved this book and there is also no question as to whether I am going to wait for the next one with impatience. This book is pure genius from the unique and refreshing plot line with the lovable character.

Overall:

I give this book 4.5 out of 5, it was amazingly fascinating and a bloody good read.





Product Details
Reading level: Ages 13 and up
Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books (January 31, 2012)
Language: English
Author's Website: www.jodimeadows.com
ISBN-10: 0062060759
ISBN-13: 978-0062060754

No comments:

Post a Comment