Thursday, 22 November 2012

Dark Protector [Paladins of Darkness #1] - Alexis Morgan


WARNING ADULT CONTENTS
Title: Dark Protector 
Author: Alexis Morgan
Rating: 4 out of 5
Devlin Bane: Born a Paladin, he is a member of an ancient band of warriors locked in a centuries-old war against evil. 
His destiny: To die over and over again to protect mankind from the Others, only to be revived each time by his mortal Handler.
But his fierce strength and courage cannot save him from gradually becoming one of the monsters he was born to destroy. 
Dr. Laurel Young, who has spent years training to become a Handler, must remain detached from her patients. But each time she revives the darkly compelling Devlin Bane, he claims a little more of her soul and incites in her desires that grow wilder and wilder -- even as he inches closer to losing his humanity. As the war against the Others grows more desperate, Laurel and Devlin can't help but give in to the fierce hunger that's sizzled between them for so long. Now they'll face the ultimate battle together -- to save a dark, passionate love that goes against every rule as they join forces to fight an enemy who is closer than they ever imagined....


Lately I've been lucky with the books I chose, it seems my shallow love for pretty covers have finally manage to retreat  if only just a little bit. This book is not a classic but an old favourite, every now and then when I don't wish to over crowd my already buzzing head, this would be one of the books I pull out.

I really love this book, it's not the usual boy meets girl, boy or girl are in human and they fall in love kind of book. Well mostly anyway. Yes, boy meets girl and boy is not human but unlike most paranormal genre books girl is a successful doctor who nurses the said boy back to health every time he dies. Yes, you read it right. Boy, although I think I should stop using that metaphor, is in fact a Paladin. An ancient band of warriors that protect the barrier between this world and another. Now what they are guarding us from is strictly confidential, even to the warriors that die very often trying to stop some sort of inter-dimensional immigration. 

The reason I love this book is that both the protagonist stand up for themselves, this relationship is not one sided male protects female and you will love me for it kind but the kind that has a semblance of balance. Dr. Young clearly doesn't take orders from anyone which especially endears her to me. What can I say I love rebels. I suppose this does conform to usual 'the man is the warrior' stereotype but I actually quite fond of that quirk, after all we all want some handsome, hunky fella to come sweep us off our feet right. What  I like about this book is that the whole male testosterone thing is perfectly balanced by the fact that Laurel Young is clearly and in obvious places, smarter than her man.The one thing I love more than muscles is definitely brains.

The one thing I found strange about this book is that there were no clear enemies, yea the stalker is the immediate danger but having no clue as to what and who they were fighting as much of a negative as it was a positive. With no clear indication as to who you are suppose to hate you start to hate, you start to dislike pretty much everyone who was not a Paladin or Laurel. 

The Verdict

Alright to sum up this book, well this book was actually very very good. It had unique ideas and gives life to the usual and a little tiresome paranormal romance story line.

I am going to give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment