Monday, 5 November 2012

Hourglass [Hourglass Series #1] - Myra McEntire


Title: Hourglass 
Author:  Myra McEntire 
Rating: 3 out 5
Synopsis: From Goodreads

One hour to rewrite the past . . . For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.
Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?
Review

When I first run across this book the cover had me hook line and sinker. It is not pretty per se but it was intriguing. I am a very big Doctor Who fan so finding a book about time travellers that even remotely comes close to the genius that the show made me up my expectation.

The story is about Emerson, a 17 year old girl who sees ghost or so you would thing but these are not ghosts in the traditional sense they are echoes of people from the past. The setup of this book was brilliant I loved the fact they this story was not another I see dead people. It was unique and I totally got into it straight away. 
I liked Emerson at least in the sense that she was kick ass quite literary with Michael which is always something to be encouraged. I love female protagonists who don’t bend back for their seriously hot boyfriend to be’s but that is pretty much where I stop liking her character. Emerson is in permanent state of self-pity. I realise her parent’s death affected her; I would understand more than most but for the love of God just get over it already. Harsh but true, everyone in her life is walking on eggshells around her and after a while you just want to slap her back to reality.

As for Michael, he is the usual superhot mysterious guys who is in love with her bus is resisting her for her own good or something. I do love a good tall, dark and handsome but it’s becoming a bit to stereotypical for my taste. What I need now is a very nice geeky man who would argue about Marvel Vs DC for hours on end [btw MARVEL all the way, I dare you to argue it with me].

The verdict 

I really loved the fact that this book was very scientific in a sense that it didn’t ignore paradoxes and other time travel related rules but I was not a very big fan of the protagonist.

Overall

I give this book an overall of 3 out of 5 for a book with very good idea which lacked in execution .


Product details
Paperback: 390 pages
Publisher: Egmontusa; Reprint edition (8 May 2012)
Language: English
Author's Website:
ISBN-10: 1606843842
ISBN-13: 978-1606843840
Purchase: Amazon/ Barns & Noble

2 comments:

  1. YAY! A fellow Whovian!!!

    XD Anyway...great review. :) I've been meaning to read Hourglass for a while now. Might have to give it a try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn right, i don't know if you live in the UK but the new season began yesterday and it was damn awesome. Thanks but don;t compare this book to Doctor Who or it would seriously lack.

    ReplyDelete