Monday, 12 November 2012

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien


Title: The Hobbit  
Author: J.R.R. Tolkien
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.



Continuing with the classics theme I have the brilliant J. R. R. Tolkien with The Hobbit.

This book is amazingly complicated to review for one it is not written to a standard you can call ‘literary masterpiece’ after all its amazingly uncomplicated with fourteen people going through a rather fantastical journey through an alien world. It is obviously narrated by Tolkien as a third party observer retrospectively. By right it should not deserve it’s statues as a ‘modern classic’ but a modern classic it is. 

This book is simply amazing. I suppose it is a children’s book but like Harry Potter, it is something anyone can read and as much as it pains me to say it the premise of this book KO’s Harry Potter’s. The simple charm of this book enthralls the reader with a beautifully painted scenes and charmingly unoptimistic protagonist. I fell in love with Bilbo Baggins as the simple Hobbit who did as respectable hobbits did, had too much cake and blew smoke rings in his back yard whilst in his heart of hearts he wanted to have adventures like his Took ancestors. 

I can’t say I am overly fond of the dwarves but like everything in this book they capture your heart and will not let go until you have read and read through it. The thing about this is and am not sure whether this is a compliment or not and it’s that this book really feels as long as the journey. It’s like loads of little journey’s crammed together with moments of short but somewhat relaxing rests but then they set of again and it would be completely different from the last little adventure they had.

In a way knowing that Bilbo was going to survive took away from the excitement after all whatever happened he was going to come out on top but then again I don’t think it was Tolkien’s fault that I have in fact seen The Lords of the Rings way too many time although not quite as much as some of the people I know.

Okay transgressing a little to the subject of the movie. First I am too excited for one because I am now absolutely in love with it but also because it’s about time Peter Jackson got around to directing it. I really do hope that Jackson achieves the same success with this move as in the rest of the Lord of the Rings movies.

Alright now let’s move on to the verdict. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars since my words could not possible do  this book any justice but be warned this book is very genre specific if you do not like the Lord of the Rings movies, avoid this book at all costs.



1 comment:

  1. Great Review!

    I remember my teacher used to read it out loud to my class in third grade, and I also later read it myself.

    It's a fantastic story and, after watching the movie adaption two days ago, I bought it from amazon and am now waiting for it to arrive, so I can read it yet again. :)

    Patricia @ Night Readings

    ReplyDelete