Sunday, 30 December 2012

Super-Human [The Ultimates Vol 1] - Mark Millar

Title - Super-Human [The Ultimates Vol 1]
Author - Mark Miller
Rating - 3 out of 5 cupcakes
Graphic content rating - 6 out of 5 cupcakes [do the maths kids]
Synopisis

Spider-Man and the Green Goblin. The X-Men and Magneto. Strange beings with incredible powers have risen up to challenge the old order, and ordinary citizens are scared witless. The government's solution: a small but lethal army known as the Ultimates, created to protect humanity from the newly risen threats to mankind!



Review

I am a Marvel fan but for a while I felt that I couldn't possible claim to be so unless I read the comic books and after falling in love with the Avengers movie, it felt like the right time to start. So enters my comic book wise friend with the recommendation of The Ultimates. As a comic books go it is a very hooking one. While radically difference from the movie franchise it has a decent story line. My major issue with the book was that I had an expectation going into the book and the new face of the characters did not match it. Even the characters that are not in the movies like the Pyms were portrayed to be a total dick head and don't get me started on how they treated Banner. As for Antman,instead of being the smart doctor at the heart of The Ultimates he is just a selfish wife beater.

While the billionaire, genius, philanthropist is the hero of my heart, I always had a fondness for poor old Bruce Banner and he comes out as a total wimp who does stupid thing that would seriously disqualify him from my Marvel Brainbox award. As for Stark well he was the same womaniser so nothing has changed, or so you think. Tony in fact has cancer and is going to die within five years. Despite the many failings of my expectations the most surprise came from the the resident Azgardian hunk demigod Thor. He is not the violent and slightly erratic stranger from another world but in fact a peace activist who has a serious clash with authority, basically a hippy. The one character that was pretty much the same in the movies as in the comics is Fury, right down to the at casting choice.

This book was a lot more Watchmen and a lot less Avengers but this was actually quite enjoyable. The movie draws a lot of it's visual inspiration from here. The helicarrier and even Hulk's prison.

Despite the coldness of the characters and the obvious dick headedness of the heroes I actually enjoyed the intensity of the book. Mind you it is not the Hulk decks Thor funny but rather a trip down twisted ally which is enjoyable in its own right.

I give this book 3 out of 5 for a slightly erratic but fun ride to the dark side of comic land.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! for reviewing a Marvel comic. I'm always on the lookout for something I can enjoy reading with my boys (maybe not this one). Looking foward to more reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks but you are right, this one is not for kids but stick around because I am planning on reviewing a lot more comics.

    ReplyDelete