Friday, 14 December 2012

Wings [Wings #1] - Aprilynne Pike

Title: Wings
Author: Aprilyn Pike
Rating: 1 our of 5 cupcakes
Synopsis

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful--too beautiful for words.

Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings.

In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever

 
Review

This book was bad and I mean bad, seriously it was bad. It was like reading a 13 year old work on Wattpad and even then I have seen better. It is so bad I don't even know where to begin critizing. The overall story was shallow and there was no real writing style. It was as if Pike was giving fact after fact, sort of like a shopping list. It made the whole story choppy and had no flow.

To be honest I don't even know why I bough this book, perhaps it was a faint memory of liking this book or the fact that I bough the two books really cheap, Since there is no way in hell I would waste my time reading the next one I think I will do a giveaway (yaye, my first ever!)

The whole plot is cliched. Laurel, beautiful and extremely naive to the point I want to kill her and David who is the hot science geek (he appeals to me but I still hate the fact that he is the geek who doesn't know that he is hot) and endless pages of food description. Yes, you read right. Apart from being the most irritating teenager on the planet of the earth Laurel has one messed up relationship with food. Now I am proud of being a full blood carnivore and I really don't care if other people want to turn themselves into a human rabbit but this book put way too freaking much emphasis on Laurel and her rabbit food. Yes she eats like she is a 2 day old bunny but why the hell does she feel guilty for eating pears and juice. It was just irritating, I mean seriously if I suddenly started eating salad and soda my family would drag me to the doctors but Laurel's mummy dearest just lets her drink sprite because “she couldn't argue with the 140 calories per can. That was 140 more than water. At least this way she knew Laurel was getting more calories in her system, even if they were 'empty.'”

I saw this online and it reminded me a lot of Laurel.


To top this whole shebang off, her blood is see through. Tell me something fellow humans, how the hell do you not know your blood is see through at the age of 15. Really, really are you kidding me, this is the sort of story that deserves a Star Trek facepalm because ordinary facepalm is simply not enough .
 

By this point I did not think the story could get any worse and then the pimple arrived. 15 year old Laurel gets a pimple on her back and then it grows into epic gigantic proportions until it burst (not a pretty image here) and before you can say preso chango wings come out of it because queue the drums Laurel is a Fairy or in Pike's spelling a faerie.

I have to sort of grudgingly give credit to the last 100 or so pages because after 200 pages of playing Tetris in my head the plot finally kicks in but by this time it is too damn late.


     

   

      Wings (Wings, #1)
   

 

    

No comments:

Post a Comment