Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Artemis Fowl [Artemis Fowl #1] - Eoin Colfer

Rating - 3.5 Cupcakes
Cover rating - 4 Cupcakes [it's shiny and pretty]
Synopsis
Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is a millionaire, a genius—and, above all, a criminal mastermind. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories—they're dangerous! Full of unexpected twists and turns, Artemis Fowl is a riveting, magical adventure.
 
Review

I read this book because It has been on my to read list since I was 12 years old but a suitable time never came but this year as I proceeded to watch my 20 year old, almost 6 foot grown man friend read the book with childlike fascination, well I knew it was about time that I got me some of that.

This book was surprisingly good, sure the plot setting was interesting but often I found myself bored with billionaire, evil genius child image. Probably because of the unnatural jealousy that flares up every time you watch a mare boy flaunting his wealth about. Thankfully for my new years resolution and whatever remains of my sanity Artemis Fowl restrained himself from the obvious 12 year old womanizer plot so he could focus more on hating humanity and outwitting faeries.Unsurprisingly this made me a feel a kinship between the dark eyes pale boy bent on not ''melodramatic'' world domination but rather acquiring a tonne of gold from obviously mean spirited sprites.

I am a very big fan of the paranormal/supernatural genre but for me I have always avoided fairies. One because I often prefer to keep a somewhat probably inaccurate image of fairies as the good little season changers. Don't blame me, blame Disney. Even when little Tinkerbell grew mischievous, she wasn't exactly someone you described as evil.

I have to give it to Colfer he revolutionized the lore in a way that it still kept the original integrity, yes elves once made shoes at night and brownies cleaned your house but the time of peace has indeed passed and modern fairies despise their Mud People counterparts and shunned the sunlight that made them so pretty.Instead they made some heavy duty techno gear and only planted acorns when they need a little charge of magic from mother nature.

Colfer doesn't exactly get rid of the rich boy stereotype, Artemis has one hell of a man servant. One that could probably serve you tea while beating a Troll, can't say I imagine Richie Rich's butler Herbert Cadbury taking that kind of a beating from a tusked, man eating beast but the premise of the relationship was the same. Butler trusted Artemis implicitly and in return Butler was the closes thing Artemis had to a father.

The loyalty between them is a pleasure to behold.In a plot where there are flying meter high people with tonnes of gold, it gives a real emotional grounding to the story.

One last thing and this probably occurred by a combination of active imagination and hormonal teenager mental state but a small part of me wishes that Artemis was that little bit older so as to have a romantic interest in a fairy, a fact Colfer firmly rejected in the epilogue, although I doubt he was talking about that kind of romanticism.

Overall I enjoyed this book and in several places it had me almost on the edge of my seat so I give it 3.5 and a promise to go out and get the next Artemis Fowl tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment