Wednesday, 30 January 2013

Beautiful Creatures [Caster Chronicles #1] - Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl



Rating: 2 out of 5 cupcakes
Cover Rating: 3 out of 5 cupcakes

Synopsis


Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power, and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

 
Review
 
I wanted to like this book, I really really did if only to prove to myself that I was capable of liking something that was the focus of so many internet hypes unfortunately for me it seemed that either this book was rather bland and boring or the hipster force is strong with this one. Technically I don’t feel like I am qualified to review this book since I could not finish it but after slaving though a hundred and fifty pages of teen angst and clich├ęd story line I felt I at least deserved to rant about it.  After about page 100 I felt that the only way this book could be rescued was if all but one of the characters die and there is a hint that they will probably be tortured and even this idea was far from original. To read or not to read, that was the question.

First of all I am actually glad to have found a book I did not like if only to break the monotonous trend of praises, like I have said before, there is only so many ways you can say amazing but there are many many ways in which you can describe your loathing for a book. I would not go as far as saying I loathe this book but I can say that there is nothing in this book that was original.


It was a combination of many teen books that have long since passed their sale by date. The whole story can be summed up in a very few sentences. Boy dreams about girl, boy meets girl, girl is possibly not human and they cannot be together because of some impending danger due to the nature of the supernatural and to top it all off add in bitch queens and exploding glass and there you have it Beautiful Creatures wrapped up in a neat and thorn in my ass bow. Even the fact that it set in some hillbilly in the middle of nowhere does not save this book, in fact in my opinion it condemns it by adding more stereotype about small towns and the black sheep of the small town as a love interest. The only thing that this book has going for it is the nice cover font.  

Before anyone points it out, I am aware that the story is written from a male prospective rather than yet another whiny little girl but the truth is, having grown up with two boys and having had little female companion, I assure you, most men do not sound like a the hormonal little girl that is Ethan Wate. You can accuse me of stereotyping and I probably am a little bit but I think that the authors should have gotten some prospective from the men in their lives before writing this book Heck read Julie Cross'Tempest or ask Jay Kristoff as to how he constructed a protagonist of opposite gender.

I could go on about how stupid the whole thing is possibly for a whole day picking out each and every fault but since I have to get back to obsessing over Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Who, both of which by the way are ideal shows, I am going to wrap this up.

Overall I give this book two stars and one of those stars is because of the beautiful font on the books which I am grudgingly admitting.


1 comment:

  1. Great review. I like male POV's. It's refreshing and enlightening if done right. Personal Effects by E.M. Kokie does a good job of writing a guy in the grips of heavy emotion without sounding whiny. I've been debating picking up Beautiful Creatures for some time. I like that I can put that debate on hold and focus on the pile currently glaring at me.

    ReplyDelete