Thursday, 3 January 2013

Homeland Security [The Ultimates Vol #2] - Mark Miller



Rating - 4 out of 5 cupcakes
Illustration Rating - 10 out of 5 [Even better than last time]
Synopsis

Iron Man. Thor. Captain America. The Wasp. Giant-Man. They are the world's newest heroes, brought together by the U.S. government to combat the world's growing wave of superhuman threats. But just because they have amazing powers doesn't also mean they don't have the inner problems that strike at us all. After the Hulk has rampaged through New York City, it's member against member as infighting among The Ultimates begins. With the city in ruins and immediate danger ahead, can they pull together to face their greatest threat yet?

Review 

I read this because I simply could not get it out of my mind, obviously I like the dark and twisted a lot more than I realised. The longer I read this series the more I realise that Miller is a freaking genius. It is all good and well reading about heroes who are perfect but it is harder to digest a hero who is, in personal term rather immoral. Miller challenges the ethics of being a hero, do we put aside the fact that Hank Pym is a wifebeater because the world needs saving or do we let the aliens take over because we have ethical qualms. 


The story continues after the Hulk destroyed half the city. Miller makes a point in telling us how many people dies in his rampage, a point that is often left out of movies. This rendition of the Hulk, as pointed out to me is boiled down to the basic human instincts. Eat, fuck and destroy. Hank is still on the run after his incident with his wife. One thing I forgot to mention in my last review was the sheer surprise of seeing Hank and Janet escalate to violence because until that point they seemed like the perfect couple and even when they were fighting I thought there were going to do a Mr & Mrs Smith like fighting to makeup sex but no he had her bitten by loads of ants. Was I disappointed? Compared to what happened next, hell yes.

This book finally, oh so sweet finally, gave me a moment worthy of Captain Americas’ statues as leader of The Ultimates. Watching the good old Cap open a can of whop ass on Hank Pym when the good doctor was 60 feet tall, was such a satisfying moment. Seriously mind-blowingly amazing.


This book introduced Black Widow, Hawkeye, Scarlett and Quicksilver. I really, really loved Black widow. In hindsight I realise how much her character is understated in the movies. She is amazing, definitely my favourite hero of the Ultimate universe. For one because she says what she want and kicks so much ass that it hurts just imagining it but the reason I like her even more than normal female heroes is that she is completely not sexualised. I mean I am not saying that the other Marvel girls don’t kick ass but they dress like a pinup girl straight from a man’s wet dream while this one can kicks ass in military get up.


By now this book has appeased my desire to kick Pym in the ass, respect Captain America and the reluctant feminist, now for the villains. Reptile aliens, of course who else can compete against The Ultimates right? Wrong. The choice in villain comes out as rather lazy, not to mention very V [1983 miniseries in which a group of reptilian aliens wear thin human looking skins and slow invade] are you kidding me, they are practically the same freaking villains. Apart from the obvious copying of villains, the reason I don’t like them is because there is a complete coincidence in their reappearance and The Ultimates finally getting their act together. Since when does evil have a good timing? 


In writing this review I realised that there is so much more to comic books than men in their underpants playing who saves the pretty girl. There is so much depth in these books, probably more than the average 300 page novels and that makes it a refreshing read.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars because it is actually very brilliant.


No comments:

Post a Comment