Wednesday, 6 February 2013

A Princess of Mars [Barsoom #1] - Edgar Rice Burroughs

 Rating - 3 out of  5 cupcakes
Cover Rating  - 4 out of 5 cupcakes
World to Conquer

Suddenly projected to Mars, John Carter found himself captive of the savage green men of Thark. With him was Dejah Thoris, lovely Princess of Helium. And between them and rescue lay a thousand miles of deadly enemies and unknown dangers.

Review

The book begins in the Arizona dessert in which the protagonist John Carter and his friend have found Gold fortunately they encounter native American kidnappers [trying to be more politically correct than Mr Burroughs]. After a brief tussel John Carter ends up on Mars. Now here is where my problem starts, Boroughs does not even attempt to explain how Carter goes from looking at Mars to getting to it which I find a little lazy.

There are two types of intelligent races on  Mars, the green and the red once. Sort of like bizarre M&Ms, if the green M&Ms were fifteen feet tall and had tusks. The red Martians are pretty much humans but it seems everyone on Mars walk around butt-naked and war between themselves like a bunch of savages. If that is not entertaining enough there is also a love interest. Now usually this is usually something that makes me very happy but Dejah Thoris is perhaps the most useless love interest of all time. All she ever does is gets kidnapped and sit there looking all helpless while Carter pines over the most beautiful thing he has ever seen. She is basically the Victorian embodiment of a perfect woman, useless and pretty.
 I hesitated in writing this review because to be honest I am very unsure of what  I really thought about this book. Sure I enjoyed that strange trip to mars but I found some aspects of the book rather strange, sort of like being in someones psychedelic dream.

Sort of like this.




Which is always fun I suppose.

Overall I enjoyed the book even if it did make the inner feminist in me roll her eyes. So I give it 3 Cupcakes out of 5.




1 comment:

  1. My teen son and I love the movie. I think I'll get the book for him.
    M.C.V. Egan

    ReplyDelete