Thursday, 14 February 2013

The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy [The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy #1] - Douglas Adams

Rating - 5 out of 5 cupcakes
Cover Rating - 4 out of 5 Cupcakes
Synopsis

The story is legendary. Arthur Dent, mild-mannered, out-to-lunch earthling, is plucked from his planet by his friend Ford Prefect just seconds before it was demolished to make way for a hyperspace bypass. Ford, posing as an out-of-work actor, is a researcher for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Together they begin their now-famous intergalactic journey through time, space and lunch.
 
Review

I don't really know how to begin to review this book since all words seem to fail me. I found this book rather odd in the sense that there seemed to be no aim to it, no impending quest or foreseeable future other than surviving the immeasurable, well actually quite measurable with the a computer that can calculate an improbability drive which is voiced by a rather too cheerful computer called Eddie, odds that is often against the earth man Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect.

This book is rather nonsensical, the things that happen and keep happening seem to make no sense what so ever and have no real logic, at least to the third smartest being on planet earth. The first being.... well mice. While it might seem very strange, Adams writes this book in a way that is so logical that you could not help but reexamine your intelligence in comparison to the mice in your life.

I found this book entertaining and at times I found myself laughing out loud many times. The book is written in satirical manner with everything from God to '' the meaning of the universe and everything'' which happens to be 42. 

Adams has included improbability drive spaceship called 'The heart of Gold', a manically depressed robot with genuine people's personality, an alien man with three arms and two heads, and so many other rather ridiculous creations that make this book such a freaking delight to read.


Marvin the manically depressed robot


I LOVED this book and when I say I actually mean this is officially my new favorite book, even more than the Fellow Ship of the Ring which I am currently reading.

I give this book 5 out of 5 cupcakes and a a very big recommendation for anyone who loves books.






 

2 comments:

  1. My teen son is an absolute fan, I found both movie versions for him after he read the book for the second time.

    I have to tell him about your review! :)
    M.C.V. Egan

    ReplyDelete
  2. followed your blog follow mine please nabooksvsboys.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete