Monday, 25 March 2013

iBoy - Kevin Brooks

Rating - 4 out 5 cupcakes
Cover Rating - 3 out of 5 Cupcakes
Synopsis

What can he do with his new powers — and what are they doing to him?

Before the attack, Tom Harvey was just an average teen. But a head-on collision with high technology has turned him into an actualized App. Fragments of a shattered iPhone are embedded in his brain. And they're having an extraordinary effect on his every thought.

Because now Tom knows, sees, and can do more than any normal boy ever could. But with his new powers comes a choice: To avenge Lucy, the girl he loves, will he hunt down the vicious gangsters who hurt her? Will he take the law into his own electric hands and exterminate them from the South London housing projects where, by fear and violence, they rule?

Not even his mental search engine can predict the shocking outcome of iBoy's actions.


Review
 
When I read the synopsis of this book I was hesitant in picking it up but not due to the sci-fi element, I am in fact a big fan of Science Fiction however having lived a lot of my life in London I assumed Tom would be a typical sixteen year old with an over inflated ego and superiority complex. I am glad to say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that I was quite wrong.

I have to say I really enjoyed exploring the potential benfits of having a computer inside the brain. The powers were written well and made me consider the true power of electricity in our lives however I was rather unconvinced with the electric shield. It felt as if it was written rather heistily to get a character out of trouble and served no other purposes.

A few pages into the book I realised that the book was going to be gritter than I had assumed, while it doesn't reach the same level of depravity as American Psycho, it contains frequent violence, drugs, gang culture and several mentions of rape.If you look past the obvious shroud of Tom's powers you realise that this story is not really about science fiction but rather an outlook into a typical if not rather terrible look into the infamous tower block of London. Having lived in London a long time I am aware of the reality that is hidden beneath the glitzy famous landmarks and tourists attraction.

This  book reflects the underlying need for a hero, someone who would swoop in and get you out of a mess whether that be protection from violence or simple money problems. Brooks also explored the loss of identity any masked man would face. Tom initially enjoys his power and who would not, I can't actually count the number of times I have wanted a computer in my brain however in replacing human instinct and morals with binary codes and circuits you end up lose apart of yourself, the part that makes you human, your emotions. This book also explores the short comings of the law especially in communities where fear and poverty rule the residents.

Wit didn't really teach me anything I didn't know I really enjoyed and even finished the book in one sitting. I give it 4 out of 5 Cupcakes 

p.s How awesome would it be to have an iPhone in your head. Seriously.






No comments:

Post a Comment