Sunday, 12 May 2013

A Virtual Love - Andrew Blackman



Rating: 3.5 out of 5
Cover rating: 2 out of 5



Synopsis:

For Jeff Brennan, juggling multiple identities is a way of life. Online he has dozens of different personalities and switches easily between them. Offline, he shows different faces to different people: the caring grandson, the angry eco-protester, the bored IT consultant. So when the beautiful Marie mistakes him for a famous blogger, he thinks nothing of adding this new identity to his repertoire. But as they fall in love and start building a life together, Jeff is gradually forced into more and more desperate measures to maintain his new identity, and the boundaries between his carefully segregated personas begin to fray. In a world where truth is a matter of perspective and identities are interchangeable, Jeff finds himself trapped in his own web of lies. How far will he go to maintain his secrets? And even if he wanted to turn back, would he be able to?

Review: 

Hmmm...Where was the resolve? Where was the outcome?

I read this like a starved animal; wanting to understand and to finally find the romance in this story.

The writing style is unusual and is a great way to immerse yourself in the story and although I understood the lack of descriptions I wondered what Jeff looked like, I didn't know anything about him really except his age of 23, later we find out the blog has been going fir seven years which would make Jeff (the fake unreal blogger Jeff) 16 when it was first written; which to me seems unlikely to begin with.

I loved Jon, he sounded so comparable to so many men I have met and some I have even dated, he wants the quiet life away from any real responsibility and away from the pressures of having anything tangible to call an achievement. I would like him to have another book although I know he won't, because this isn't a romantic story; not really. So he won't ever get a happily ever after.

This story was captivating and inspiring - then it ended, almost half finished. I don't regret reading it or the low sum of 99p to buy it but maybe I just like everything tied up in a neat bow so I know that the last 256 pages where for a reason and the reason was realised and accomplished.

Plenty of twists though and theories in your own head about what would be next. 

3.5 stars... I wanted a conclusion. My own need for everything left in a pretty bow downgraded this but don't let that stop you reading this addictive story.




2 comments:

  1. Mercy, I think this is the first time I'm stopping by. Nice review, although I wonder what you didn't like about the cover? I thought it was pretty appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matthew, welcome :) I liked it but the title I think is more my issue. It isn't a love story in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete