Tuesday, 21 May 2013

Birthmarked [Birthmarked #1] - Caragh O'Brien


Rating - 5 out of 5 Cupcakes
Cover Rating - 3.5 out of 5 Cupcakes

Synopsis

In the future, in a world baked dry by the harsh sun, there are those who live inside the wall and those, like sixteen-year-old midwife, Gaia Stone, who live outside. Gaia has always believed it is her duty, with her mother, to hand over a small quota of babies to the Enclave. But when Gaia's mother and father are arrested by the very people they so dutifully serve, Gaia is forced to question everything she has been taught to believe. Gaia's choice is now simple: enter the world of the Enclave to rescue her parents, or die trying.

Review

I can't tell you how much I loved this book. It was fantastic in every possible level. Despite the fact that this book is 360 pages long I did not feel like I read more than a 100 pages. The story flowed naturally from one realistic disaster to another.

Many a times before I have complained that the female characters in the book are whiny and rather obnoxious. I was delighted to find that Gaia was none of the above. She was a delicious mix of brave, intelligent and still had the vulnerabilities of of a 16 year old. The romance in this book is less heavy handed than some books I have read but this didn't take away from how amazing it was when it happened either.

Unlike many readers I know I have never been a very big fan of the Dystopian genre, I didn't have any particular dislike to it nevertheless it was never my genre of choice. In the past I have felt that there was too much emphasis on the changing of technology and usually there is no explanation given as to what happened to cause society to change so much. The energy explanation given in the book is not only feasible but also allows O'Brien to focus more on the development of characters rather than having to waste time with a history lesson.

I don't really know how much more I can possibly recommend this book. I give it 5 out of 5 cupcakes and I can't freaking wait to read the next book.





No comments:

Post a Comment