Sunday, 26 May 2013

Raziel [The Fallen #1] - Kristina Douglas

Rating - 3 out of 5 Cupcakes
Cover Rating - 4 out of 5 Cupcakes

Synopsis

“You’re dead” is so not what Allie Watson wants to hear. Unfortunately, it explains a lot. Like the dark, angelically handsome man who ferried her to this strange, hidden land. The last thing she remembers is stepping off a curb in front of a crosstown bus. Now she’s surrounded by gorgeous fallen angels with an unsettling taste for blood—and they really don’t want her around. Not exactly how she pictured heaven.

. . . until death catapulted her into a seductive world she never imagined.


Raziel is unsure why he rescued Allie from hellfire against Uriel’s orders, but she stirs in him a longing he hasn't felt in centuries. Now the Fallen are bracing for the divine wrath brought by his disobedience, and they blame Allie for the ferocious Nephilim clawing at the kingdom’s shrouded gates. Facing impossible odds at every turn, the two must work together to survive. Raziel will do anything to defend his spirited lover against the forces of darkness—because Allie may be the Fallen’s only salvation.

Review

When I first started the book I have to say I wasn't a fan of the narrative. I didn't think and I still don;t think first person is the best narrative for paranormal romance. It takes away the mystery of the plot and to be honest I love imagining what the paranormal love interest is thinking. Second of all I was not a fan of why she was sentenced to hell, he day job seems to have been created for the convenience of giving her some knowledge about the angel's name which I believe to be entirely unnecessary. I know a lot about angels and that has nothing to do with religion or a job, I just like mythology and watch too much supernatural for my own good.

Once you get passes this minor plot weakness, the first person narrative becomes rather endearing really. There are some quirky battles of wits and wam bam thank you ma'am the book is finished. Nothing actually happens in the book until the last minute and then loads of people die which you really don't care about because the author hasn't taken to take time to build relationships.Come to think of it I have to say that this was a rather mildly interesting book that doesn't really provoke any sort of emotional response from me.

For that I am giving to give it 3 starts and say I am being generous. This is the book you enjoy reading only when you are reading it. Give it even the smallest amount of thought after the process and you are reminded that it is rather empty.


No comments:

Post a Comment