Friday, 14 June 2013

Matched [Matched #1] - Ally Condie

Synopsis 

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

Review

I often don't like making precognitions about books before I read then but I ran around the blogverse often enough that I can't really help it. This series has a lot of fans and equally negative reviews to add to it's name so I was divided to begin with. One of the main themes about this book was the love triangle. I do NOT like love triangles, in fact I really hate the growing trend of female YA characters who has no more depth than a 2D cartoon cut out. So I avoided this book even though part of me really wanted to read it.

Even after I started reading this book, I was conflicted. I liked Cassia as much as I disliked her. She was brave as she was a coward, she was selfless as she was selfish, she was irritating as she was fascinating. All in all she was a very much all rounded person. One thing she was was extremely naive. It took a little too long for her to wake up and realise that the society was not the prefect construction that she was borough up to believe. Perhaps it is because I have a very cynical expectation of everything that I find it easy to spot the negatives of any infrastructure but watching Cassia stumble through her opinions of society caused me endless frustration.

I was also surprised that unlike many other books with the same theme, the love triangle did not play a very big role in fact while Cassia loved Xander as a friend, she did not show a lot of indecision about which one she love. Yes, there were some moments where this wavered and I thought it was going to be like all other books after all but those moments were brief and not very common.

I was actually surprised by this book, as Cassia notes many time (too many in my opinion) this was far bigger than just two characters. It was about a social structure that aimed to be perfect in a universe where chaos rains.The society is perfectly designed to control all aspects of life from what they eat to what they wear to what to where they live or who they marry. Every thing they do is watched and recorded.There is no such thing as individuality or freedom.

This book was fast paced, dynamic and different from a lot of books I have read in the past. The characters are as gutsy as they are cowardly. They are extremely real. I really enjoyed the book and I am already well into Crossed

I give this book 4 out of 5 cupcakes



No comments:

Post a Comment